Each staff member at Edinburgh Napier University is supplied with a Microsoft Outlook email account hosted on Microsoft Exchange server and is allocated 1GB worth of storage space within their email accounts.
This page provides help using Microsoft Outlook. You may also find the following pages useful:
Remote Access to Email
Mobile Devices (includes information on setting up your device to access University email)
About Microsoft Outlook
MS Outlook not only enables you to manage your email it also acts as a valuable organisation and time management tool. The latest version available to staff is Outlook 2013. If you have not already upgraded your staff PC to Office 2013 you may wish to do so as support for earlier versions of MS Office will eventually be withdrawn. Information about how to upgrade can be found on the Microsoft Office intranet page.
MS Outlook 2013 - What's New
The following Microsoft websites will help you get started with MS Outlook 2013:
What's New in Outlook 2013
MS Outlook Hints & Tips
How to Manage .pst files in MS Outlook
Mailbox - Giving Others Access to your Mailbox For Senior Managers
Outlook Calendar - Best Practices
MS Outlook Training
Information about MS Outlook Instructor Led Training courses, dates and booking details can be found in the Staff IT Training section.
Microsoft Outlook FAQs
Q: How do I request additional disk space?
A: If you require additional disk space please speak to your Head of Department who will authorise the request through Information Services. Please note: Information Services - IT don't recommend increasing your mailbox size limit as larger mailboxes tend to have performance issues.
Q: How do I work with email attachments?
A: When working with email attachments always save the file before making changes. If you make changes to the attachment itself then you will lose the changes.
Q: How do I switch on my Out of Office Reply?
A: To switch on your Out of Office Reply:
- Go to File and choose Automatic Replies (Out of Office).
- Click Send automatic replies.
- Enter your out of office message, note: you can send a separate message to those external to the University.
- Click OK.
Q: How do I report junk mail?.
A: There is now a junk mail filter in place to enable you to quickly report any spam you receive. To report a junk email message:
- When the message arrives in your Inbox click on the email once to highlight it (don't open it).
- On the top menu bar click Report Junk and select Report Junk from the drop down menu:
- When the "Microsoft Junk Email Reporting.." dialogue box appears click Yes.
This will send an email to Frontbridge (the external company who maintains the generic list of junk senders) alerting them of the spam message. If Frontbridge get enough people reporting the message as spam then this will trigger the sender's address to be added to the spammers list and subsequent messages from this address will be blocked.
For further information on dealing with unsolicited email please visit the Email Security page.
Q: What is the maximum message size I can send and receive?
A: The maximum message size for sending and receiving is 25MB. This applies to internal and external messages.
Q: How do I recall a sent message?
A: To recall a sent message:
- Go to your Sent Items folder and open the message you wish to recall.
- From the Ribbon click Actions and select Recall this Message.
- Select the relevant option e.g. Delete unread copies of this message and click OK.
You will receive a notification message informing you whether or not the message has been successfully recalled. If the recipient(s) have read the message you will be unable to recall it.
Q: How do I set staff as my default Address Book?
A: To set staff as your default Address Book:
- From the Outlook inbox select Address Book.
- From within the Address Book click Tools and select Options.
- Select All Staff from the Show this address list first drop down menu.
- Click OK and close the Address Book.
Q: Can I use Voting Buttons in my emails?
A: You can use Voting Buttons in emails to other staff members however the Voting Buttons are incompatible with the student email system. To use Voting Buttons in messages for staff:
- Once you have created your message click on the Options Ribbon tab.
- Click on the Use Voting Buttons drop down menu.
- Select the Voting Button options or customise your own.
- Address and send your message.
The recipient will see the voting options on the top left of their message. If they choose to respond you will receive an email with their response in the subject line.
Q: How do I empty my Deleted Items folder?
A: From within the Deleted Items folder select Folder and choose "Empty Folder". Click Yes when prompted.
Q: Can I recover items deleted from my Deleted Items folder?
A: Within Outlook, all items deleted from your deleted items folder are retained within the system for 30 days. Therefore, if you empty your deleted items folder but wish to retrieve any of the messages or other items, it is possible to do so providing it is within 30 days. To recover deleted items:
- From within the Deleted Items folder click Folder
- Select Recover Deleted Items, the Recover Deleted Items screen will appear
Select the items you wish to recover. If you wish to recover all items click on the Select All button
- Click on the Recover button.The recovered item(s) will be moved back into your Deleted Items folder
Please note: If you delete items from within the Recover Deleted Items dialog box there is no way to retrieve them.
Q: I have been emailed a Distribution List, can I import it into my Contacts?
A: Yes, to import it:
- Open the email which contains the Distribution List.
- Drag and drop the list onto the Contacts button at bottom left of the Outlook window. The Distribution List will be copied into your Contacts.
To access the Distribution List click on the click the Address Book icon on the toolbar in the main Outlook window.
Q: I have a question about Generic Mailboxes...
A: The following document covers many of the questions asked about Generic Mailboxes:
Generic Mailboxes - FAQs
Q: What is the Auto-Complete, and how to I turn it on/off?
A: The Auto-Complete is a feature which displays suggestions for names and e-mail addresses as you begin to type them. These suggestions are possible matches from a list of names and e-mail addresses that you have typed before, known as the Auto-Complete name list:
To turn Auto-Complete on or off in Outlook 2013:
- On the File menu, click Options.
- From the left pane click Mail.
- Scroll down to the Send messages section.
- Check or uncheck as required the "Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, CC, and BCC lines" option.
- Click OK.