Staff Car Parking
Please click here to view the Car Parking Policy before making an application for a car parking permit.
Temporary Permits were introduced in 1 February 2016 to accommodate staff or students who have a temporary need to park close to the buildings. New bays will be created on Craiglockhart and Sighthill campuses. In the event of these spaces being full then it will be possible to park in a standard space. Please contact Human Resources if you would like to apply for this permit.
For further information, refer to Car Parking FAQs here.
Use the online Car Parking Application Form to apply for campus car parking.
Car Parking Application Form - Guidance Notes
1. All fields on the form must be completed. The system will not accept a form if any of the fields are incomplete.
2. An automatic reply will be dispatched to acknowledge that the request has been received and is being processed.
The message does not mean that you have been successful in obtaining a permit.
3. Applicants' payroll number can be found on their staff badge or on request from Human Resources.
4. In the "Pay Band" field the applicant will select from the drop down menu the option number that is applicable to
their annual salary scale.
These scales are as follows:
- Option 1 - Up to £10,000 per annum = £5.50 per month
- Option 2 - £10,001 to £25,000 per annum = £10.50 per month
- Option 3 - £25,001 to £45,000 per annum = £16.00 per month
- Option 4 - £45,001 and above = £20.00 per month
Note: This information will be treated as strictly confidential and will comply with Data Protection legislation.
5. At the "Type of Permit" field the applicant will select from the drop down menu the type of permit they require.
The options are as follows:
- Standard - Issued to a specific car park with multi-site use.
- Car Share 1 -Two people sharing from different households will pay a fee based upon the schedule above, less 50%. The fee will be based upon the greater of the two salaries. A marked car share will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Car Share 2 - Three or more travelling from different households will be fee exempt and will have an entitlement to a marked share space on a first come, first serve basis. Car share spaces are available for use up until 10.30am and then they will be available to all permit holders thereafter.
- Temporary Badge - If you require a temporary permit (less than 6 months) due to a mobility issue then you should contact your HR Partner (Staff) or Student and Academic Services.
- Council Blue Badge - If you have a Council Blue Badge, you can park in any of the marked bays on Campus other than visitors bays and you must clearly display the valid permit.
6. At the "Email" field applicants are asked to indicate the email address to which the automatic reply will be sent.
7. Car park charges apply in all University car parks within the City of Edinburgh. Car park charges will apply to those members of staff who are successful in obtaining a permit and whose work requires them to be on Campus. Car Park charging periods will apply between 07:00-17:00 hours at Merchiston Campus and 09.00 – 16.00 hours at Craiglockhart and Sighthill. Car parking charges do not apply to motorcycles as this is in line with ECC policy.
8. In the event of a member of staff or student not being able to secure a permit, or in the event of permit privileges being revoked, a procedure governing appeals has been put in place. In these instances any appeal should be made in writing within 14 days to the Head of Campus Services of Property & Facilities, clearly stating the reason for the appeal. The appeal letter should also contain any other information that is relevant and should be considered. The Head of Campus Services will endeavour to review the matter within a reasonable period of time and to notify the applicant in writing of his/her decision.
If the applicant is unhappy with the decision of the Head of Campus Services, a final appeal can be made, in writing, to the Director of Property & Facilities. This final appeal must be lodged within 7 days of the notice from the Head of Campus Services. The Director of Property & Facilities will endeavor to hear the appeal as soon as possible and will notify the applicant in writing of his/her decision. The decision of the Director of Property & Facilities will be final.
Getting in touch