In September 2016, the Library launched a new ‘Intelligent Loans’ service.
Most of our book and other loans are now dynamic which means they will be automatically renewed up to a maximum of 4 months unless recalled (known as the Intelligent Loan). If an item on loan to you is requested by another user we will recall it by sending you an email asking you to return it within 7 days or by the due date if less than 7 days.
What it means for you
- It’s easy, you no longer have to remember to renew your loans.
- Longer loans for items which are not in demand.
- You must return items which have been recalled or you will be charged a fine.
- You can request items which are on the shelf at another campus or on loan to someone else.
- You must return your loans at the end of the maximum loan period.
Items labelled as 7 Day are most likely to be recalled, but other items may be recalled too.
CDs & DVDs will be automatically renewed up to a maximum of 4 weeks, again subject to recall.
Laptops are loaned for 7 days only, and cannot be renewed.
Items in Reserve Collections are loaned for 3 hours and cannot be renewed.
If the Request is filled by another copy, your loan will be renewed immediately.
If you borrowed items over 4 months ago
- You will not be able to renew them any further
- You must take them to a campus library as soon as possible
- We will check them in
- You can then borrow the items again, if you still need them
- These items will then become ‘Intelligent Loans’ and will automatically renew as before, unless another student or staff member requests to borrow them
How can you check if an item has reached the maximum number of renewals?
Sign in to LibrarySearch and go into 'My Library Card' Click the 'Loans' section and you should see the Maximum renewal date for each item you have borrowed eg:
Returning items you borrowed over 4 months ago
- You will not be fined for returning overdue items, BUT
- You will receive Overdue Reminders and Lost Items Bills
- If you have been assessed by the Disability and Inclusion team as benefiting from ‘Enhanced Services’ you will be able to pick up requests from your preferred campus.
- If you are a Distance Learning student living outside the Edinburgh area and have registered for Postal Loans, you can have items posted to your home address
Fines on Recalled items are £1 per item per day in order to ensure their prompt return.
Fines on Laptops are £5 daily to ensure prompt return.
If you cannot return an item by the due date please contact us as soon as possible. See our Fine Appeal policy for information if you are unable to return items promptly due to illness or other extenuating circumstances.
If you don’t return a loan by the due date, you will be blocked from borrowing until it’s returned. We will send you an Overdue Reminder after 2 days and another after 7 days. After 14 days we assume the item as Lost and send you a Lost Item Bill for the replacement cost plus an administrative charge of £10.
If you have lost or damaged an item please tell us as soon as possible. You can either replace it yourself or we will bill you for the replacement cost, plus an admin charge of £10.