It has been long recognised that academics who work with businesses accumulate many benefits:
- Interesting problems to be solved
- Ideas and funding for research such as Proof of Concept and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) – the University has completed over 120 KTPs
- Demonstration of Impact such as in REF2020
- The opportunity to become part of a new spinout venture such as Zonefox and Celtic Renewables
- Promotion or improved employability prospects
To help you to accrue these same benefits, the University provides you support which is available at all stages of the commercialisation journey.
For example, the University will underwrite the cost of protecting intellectual property generated by you in your role at the University such as results arising from your research. Examples of protection include:
- registering a patent,
- design, or
- protecting software
You will be assisted all the way through this process.
We can help you to align your capability and interest with businesses interested in you and your result.
We can also help you to secure funding for your initial engagement using for example Innovation Vouchers. The University has secured over 100 since their introduction in 2009 and over 25% of these seed projects has evolved into follow on business all of which helps demonstrate impact which is likely increasingly important in REF 2020.
To start a conversation email Gavin Davies - email@example.com