Over the last 18 months, colleagues from across Edinburgh Napier have been involved in discussions around amending the current academic calendar to enhance our staff and student experience, as well as support the delivery of our University Strategy.
In light of staff feedback, the Steering Group revisited the academic calendar approved by Academic Board in March 2018 to see if the key benefits could be achieved whilst retaining twelve teaching weeks per trimester.
The approved calendar retains twelve teaching weeks per trimester – as requested by staff and student representatives - whilst also creating opportunities for the following benefits:
- A more rounded student experience through emphasising a greater focus at programme level
- The enhancement of opportunities for articulation and widening participation in line with the University’s Outcome Agreement commitments
- A refresh of induction, employability, enterprise and engagement opportunities, whilst further developing our academic communities
- An improved experience for international students
- A reduction of pressure on Academic and Professional Services staff around assessment periods
- Increased opportunities for Academic staff to focus on career development linked to the promotion pathways
- Increased opportunities for Professional Services staff development activities
A working group is already underway to explore how the benefits can be best realised.
If you have any queries regarding the revised academic calendar, contact Alyson Tobin, Vice Principal of Learning and Teaching.