Virtual Desktop Service
If you are working off campus (or away from your staff PC on another campus) you can use the Virtual Desktop Service (VDS) to access:
- Your H: Drive or S: Drive
- SITS desktop client
- Agresso desktop client
- Some software that is not available off site.
Multi-Factor Authentication for the Virtual Desktop Service for staff:
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is required for all off-campus use of the Virtual Desktop Service (VDS). This will initially apply only to staff members and not students - find out more
Installing the Virtual Desktop Service (VDS)
To access the VDS you will need internet access and you will need to install a VMware Horizon Client, which is available for the following devices:
- MS Windows 7 and above
- Apple Macintosh OS X 10.6.8 (minimum)
- Apple iOS
- Google Android (including Kindle Fire)
- Linux, 32-bit Ubuntu
Find out how to install the VDS on a PC, laptop or tablet with no VMWare Horizon client available in the app store
To open and use the Virtual Desktop Service:
- Open the VMware Horizon client or app:
- Connect to the Connection Server: “desktop.napier.ac.uk”:
- Log in using your University username (matriculation number) and password:
- When you successfully logon you will see all virtual desktops available to you, select the required desktop.
- Your virtual desktop will open enabling you to:
- Securely access the University's online services and teaching applications
- Save your work and access the files stored on your networked data areas
Once finished remember to Log off via the Virtual Desktop Start Menu.
A range of Virtual Desktop Service (VDS) frequently asked questions can be found on askNapier.