Virtual Desktop Service
If you are working off campus (or away from your staff PC on another campus) you can use the Virtual Desktop Service (VDS) to access:
- Your H: Drive or S: Drive
- SITS desktop client
- Agresso desktop client
- Some software that is not available off site.
Please note: the majority of the University's online services can be accessed without being connected to the VDS. It is recommended that you connect to services directly where possible to avoid performance or access issues.
Find out more about Working from Home
Multi-Factor Authentication for the Virtual Desktop Service for staff:
From Wednesday 7 April, Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) will be required for all off-campus use of the Virtual Desktop Service (VDS). This will initially apply only to staff members and not students - find out more
Installing the Virtual Desktop Service (VDS)
To access the VDS you will need internet access and you will need to install a VMware Horizon Client, which is available for the following devices:
- MS Windows 7 and above
- Apple Macintosh OS X 10.6.8 (minimum)
- Apple iOS
- Google Android (including Kindle Fire)
- Linux, 32-bit Ubuntu
Find out how to install the VDS on a PC, laptop or tablet with no VMWare Horizon client available in the app store
To open and use the Virtual Desktop Service:
- Open the VMware Horizon client or app:
- Connect to the Connection Server: “desktop.napier.ac.uk”:
- Log in using your University username (matriculation number) and password:
- When you successfully logon you will see all virtual desktops available to you, select the required desktop.
- Your virtual desktop will open enabling you to:
- Securely access the University's online services and teaching applications
- Save your work and access the files stored on your networked data areas
Once finished remember to Log off via the Virtual Desktop Start Menu.
A range of Virtual Desktop Service (VDS) frequently asked questions can be found on askNapier.