Current Service Levels and Top Tips
The University's preferred platforms for online meetings are Webex and Skype - find out more
Statement from Webex
Webex gave us the following statement on 25 March 2020:
"Our top priority is helping users collaborate and connect with each other using Webex.
During this extraordinary time, when most people are moving to work remotely, we are seeing an unprecedented increase in Webex usage from our enterprise customers. This may cause some occasional service degradation issues but we are continuously monitoring all services and are working 24/7 to proactively provide the high-quality service that our customers expect.
We're responding proactively by expanding our worldwide capacity across our Webex applications, our IP global backbone, and our PSTN connectivity to meet and exceed changing customer needs and surges in usage.
We have also enabled excess capacity to handle peak times and deployed additional monitoring services when our customers’ usage is at its highest.
We are committed to helping our customers and partners manage through these uncertain times by providing technology that will help them work and maintain productivity, wherever they happen to be.
Please use the Webex status portal as a resource to get the latest updates, http://status.webex.com/.
The following proactive and preventative measures have been made – and continually revisited and assessed as the situation unfolds to support our customers:
- Expanding capacity
- Creating additional peak capacity with additional monitoring during key peak hours throughout the work day – anticipating when customers will have the greatest need for video conferencing
- Scaling capacity elastically as needed for critical peak times
- Adding bandwidth, additional telephony capacity, expanded data center workloads, and more."
When using Webex, if end-users have limited or no bandwidth, here are some tips to consider that could help to keep you productive:
- If you do not have strong Wi-Fi - lower video quality or turn off your web camera, and better yet, share your content before the call.
- Close unnecessary applications - audio and video competes for the same resources and under pressure will impact the quality of your collaboration experience. Webex Meetings has health indicators at the top right-hand corner (on latest versions of Webex).
- If you have no Wi-Fi - use the direct dial numbers for your meeting, which you can find in the invite.
- While working from home, there may be a lot of background noise. Consider muting yourself if you are not speaking.
Further information about Webex can be found on the Learning Technology Hub and within the Student Quick Guide.