We are currently running a Unified Communications project. One of the first steps will be to move to MS Teams telephony. This will be happening over the next few months, find out more about the project. In the meantime, everything in this section is still relevant if you have a Jabber softphone.
During the transition to MS Teams, if you request a phone for yourself or a member of your staff a Jabber softphone will be the default provision – click on the UniDesk form link below.
What is a Softphone?
A softphone is a program which enables you to use your computer or mobile device and internet connection to make and receive telephone calls rather than using a telephone handset and line.
The service is particularly valuable where staff members are hybrid working.
Cisco Jabber Softphones are available for all staff members.
Why should I use a Softphone?
The benefits of softphones are:
- Mobility: providing you have a computer with the software, Jabber, installed you can make and receive calls as though you were in your office.
- Comfort: by using a headset with a microphone, your hands are free to use your computer while you talk and listen.
- Cost: you will save on the cost of mobile or home phone calls by using softphones to make work related calls while off-campus.
Softphones can also be used for Hunt Groups on shared phone lines.
What do I need to use a Softphone?
You will need:
- An internet connection.
- A managed laptop (find out more about the Managed Laptop Service)
- To request access via a UniDesk form.
- A headset with microphone is recommended, especially if you are working in a shared space. However, you can use the inbuilt microphone and speakers on your device if required. You can request a headset on the Request IT Equipment page.
How do I use the Softphone service?
Can I access a Hunt Group via a Softphone?
One of the benefits of the Softphone service is that it enables the use of Hunt Groups, allowing teams using a shared phone line to distribute incoming phone calls to a group of phone lines.
Any teams using a shared phone line can utilise the Hunt Group feature so that calls can be distributed as they would when using a Hunt Group on campus.
All team members will need to request Softphone access.
Staff members associated to Hunt Groups on the on-campus telephone system will automatically be added to the Softphone Hunt Group. If additional staff members need to be added to a Hunt Group they will need to request this via the IS Service Desk.
Where can I find further information?
For further information please contact the IS Service Desk in the first instance.