Jabber Softphones are available for all staff members.
What is a Softphone?
A softphone is a program which enables you to use your computer or mobile device and internet connection to make and receive telephone calls rather than using a telephone handset and line.
The service is particularly valuable in the current situation where staff members are working remotely, away from their University office phones.
Why should I use a Softphone?
The benefits of softphones are:
- Mobility: providing you have a computer with the software, Jabber, installed you can make and receive calls as though you were in your office.
- Comfort: by using a headset with a microphone, your hands are free to use your computer while you talk and listen.
- Cost: you will save on the cost of mobile or home phone calls by using softphones to make work related calls while off-campus.
Softphones can also be used for Hunt Groups on shared phone lines.
What do I need to use a Softphone?
You will need:
- An internet connection.
- To request access via a UniDesk form.
- A headset with microphone is recommended but not essential as you can use the inbuilt microphone and speakers on your device if required.
Can I access a Hunt Group via a Softphone?
One of the benefits of the Softphone service is that it enables the use of Hunt Groups, allowing teams using a shared phone line to distribute incoming phone calls to a group of phone lines.
Any teams using a shared phone line can utilise the Hunt Group feature so that calls can be distributed as they would when using a Hunt Group on campus.
All team members will need to request Softphone access.
Staff members associated to Hunt Groups on the on-campus telephone system will automatically be added to the Softphone Hunt Group. If additional staff members need to be added to a Hunt Group they will need to request this via the IS Service Desk.
Where can I find further information?
For further information please contact the IS Service Desk in the first instance.