Staff Car Parking
Please note we are not currently accepting applications for general car parking permits from staff or students.
In order to provide as
many travel options as possible, parking is free of charge at Sighthill
and Craiglockhart until the end of 2020 and permits are not required at this time.
Parking at Merchiston is also free of charge for this period but you must apply for a temporary permit by emailing email@example.com.
Space allocation will be on a first come, first served basis. We’ll be monitoring demand for
parking and will keep you updated of any changes to this.
All parking permits are issued by the Security team. You can contact them on 0131 455 6119 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that parking spaces on any campus cannot be guaranteed on a day-to-day basis, even where a permit has been granted.
For further information, refer to the Car Parking FAQs.
Use the online Car Parking Application Form to apply for campus car parking.
Car Parking Application Form - Guidance Notes
1. All fields on the form must be completed. The system will not accept a form if any of the fields are incomplete.
2. An automatic reply will be dispatched to acknowledge that the request has been received and is being processed. The message does not mean that you have been successful in obtaining a permit.
3. Applicants' payroll number can be found on their staff badge or on request from Human Resources.
4. In the "Pay Band" field the applicant will select from the drop down menu the option number that is applicable to their annual salary scale.
These scales are as follows:
- Option 1 - Up to £10,000 per annum = £5.50 per month
- Option 2 - £10,001 to £25,000 per annum = £10.50 per month
- Option 3 - £25,001 to £45,000 per annum = £16.00 per month
- Option 4 - £45,001 and above = £20.00 per month
Note: This information will be treated as strictly confidential and will comply with Data Protection legislation.
5. At the "Type of Permit" field the applicant will select from the drop down menu the type of permit they require. The options are as follows:
- Standard - Issued to a specific car park with multi-site use.
- Car Share 1 -Two people sharing from different households will pay a fee based upon the schedule above, less 50%. The fee will be based upon the greater of the two salaries. A marked car share will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Car Share 2 - Three or more travelling from different households will be fee exempt and will have an entitlement to a marked share space on a first come, first serve basis. Car share spaces are available for use up until 10.30am and then they will be available to all permit holders thereafter.
- Temporary Badge - If you require a temporary permit (less than 6 months) due to a mobility issue then you should contact your HR Partner (Staff) or Student and Academic Services.
- Council Blue Badge - If you have a Council Blue Badge, you can park in any of the marked bays on Campus other than visitors bays and you must clearly display the valid permit.
6. At the "Email" field applicants are asked to indicate the email address to which the automatic reply will be sent.
7. Car park charges apply in all University car parks within the City of Edinburgh. Car park charges will apply to those members of staff who are successful in obtaining a permit and whose work requires them to be on campus. Car Park charging periods will apply between 7am-5pm at Merchiston Campus and 9am-4pm at Craiglockhart and Sighthill. Car parking charges do not apply to motorcycles as this is in line with ECC policy.
In the event of a member of staff or student not being able to secure a permit, or in the event of permit privileges being revoked, a procedure governing appeals has been put in place. In these instances any appeal should be made in writing within 14 days to the Facilities Services Manager, clearly stating the reason for the appeal. The appeal letter should also contain any other information that is relevant and should be considered. The Facilities Services Manager will endeavour to review the matter within a reasonable period of time and to notify the applicant in writing of their decision.
If the applicant is unhappy with the decision of the Facilities Services Manager, a final appeal can be made, in writing, to the Director of Property & Facilities. This final appeal must be lodged within 7 days of the notice from the Facilities Services Manager. The Director of Property & Facilities will endeavour to hear the appeal as soon as possible and will notify the applicant in writing of their decision. The decision of the Director of Property & Facilities will be final.
Temporary permits are available to accommodate staff or students who have a temporary condition were there is a need to park close to the buildings. Please email email@example.com you would like to apply for this permit.
We have a number of visitor parking spaces at all our campuses to facilitate University guests. Please be aware that these spaces must be booked in advance and vehicle details provided to the security team. If a guest parks in one of our visitor spaces without having booked, they will be issued with a penalty charge.
If you are inviting guests to the University, it is your responsibility to book a space for them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and providing the following information:
- Time (Start and Finish)
- Vehicle Registration
- Name of Driver
Parking outwith the University
If you choose to park on-street, you must pay the appropriate fee or you will receive a penalty charge. You will be responsible for paying this and the University will not consider any claims for car parking penalty charges by the council’s parking attendants.
If you park in our surrounding communities, please try to be considerate by making sure you aren’t using car parks designed for shop customers, blocking entrances or exits, parking on pavements or obstructing residents’ driveways. Help us be a good neighbour to the people we share our community with and take extra care when deciding where to leave your car.
The University is a corporate member of the Enterprise Car Club. As a result, both staff and students over 21 years of age can obtain a year’s free personal membership.
To claim your first year’s free personal membership, get your promotional code by emailing email@example.com before completing the enrolment form with Enterprise Car Club.