• Home
  • Login
  • Welcome to the Staff Intranet




How are the flats allocated?

We take all the information provided on the application form into account with care when allocating students to flats. This includes age, any additional needs and what the students are studying.  We tend to put students together who are studying on different courses to encourage them to meet new people in their first year.


How long does the tenancy run for?

The standard length of tenancy is 39 weeks from the beginning of September until the end of May. Nursing students and some postgraduate students have extended tenancies for 50 weeks from early September to late August. Students can stay in their flats over the public holidays. At The Student Housing Company, the tenancies run for 44 weeks and at Universal Student Living,Morrison Circus, the tenancies are for 39 weeks.


Is bed linen provided?

No, students will need to provide their own bedding - duvet, blankets, sheets, pillows and pillow cases. We can provide a basic bedding pack (single duvet, pillow, duvet cover, pillow case, fitted sheet) to be ready in your bedroom by requesting this in your application. This costs £30 and is payable with your advance rent payment on application.  Premium flats have bedding included.


Is electricity included in the rent?

Yes, the rent is inclusive of background heating and electricity.


Are belongings insured?

We provide basic contents insurance through Endsleigh. To see what this insurance covers and to insure additional items, please see Endsleigh's website. More expensive items such as bicycles, laptops and mobile phones are not covered by the basic insurance. It is up to the individual to ensure the insurance policy meets their needs.  The University can't assist with the administration of any insurance policy.


Is there parking at the flats?

We strongly advise students not to bring a car to Edinburgh. All of the developments are located near good bus routes, both to university campuses and the city centre. University managed accommodation has NO parking facilities for students but has very limited places for disabled blue badge holders. 


Is a TV licence required?

Yes. Anyone without a valid TV licence who watches or records television programmes on any terrestrial, satellite, cable or digital channel risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1000. Click here for more information about TV licences for students.  We provide TV Licences for the premium flats which include TVs in the lounge area.


What support is there for students in the flats?

The flats are managed by a professional team of accommodation staff based at the flat developments at receptions and at Sighthill Campus.  Students can make an appointment to meet with their Accommodation Officer by getting in contact in advance. The Accommodation Officers can offer support for any specific personal problems and can assist in putting students in touch with the appropriate welfare and support services in the University.  There are Resident Assistants at the developments who are older students living on the site to help welcome the new residents and check that everythng is running smoothly throughout the year. The University also has a 24 hour security service, based at Sighthill Campus for any out of hours emergencies.  Details of how to contact all of the above are on the flat notice boards.


What security is there in the accommodation?

CCTV is installed at the larger developments and security patrols are regularly carried out throughout the night and over weekends. The University does not accept responsibility for any loss or damage to the personal effects of the residents, either in the flats or in the car park areas.  


Can students transfer to another flat in Student Accommodation?

It is sometimes possible to move to another flat, if there is a space available. The student would need to arrange to discuss this with their Accommodation Officer.

An administrative charge of £30 would be applied for a transfer.  Generally no transfers are available during the first 4 weeks of the tenancy.


What if a student wants to leave Student Accommodation altogether?

The tenancy is a legally binding contract with no option to be released early. The only exceptions to this are:

  • Finding another Edinburgh Napier student who is an acceptable replacement. In this case, the student is liable for the rent of the accommodation as long as it stands empty. If finding a replacement proves impossible, the student will remain liable for their rent until the   end of the tenancy agreement.  Transfer of tenancy to another student will not be permissable during the first 4 week andlast 4 weeks of the tenancy.
  • Withdrawal from studies at Edinburgh Napier University.  In this case a letter or email from the students course tutor must be received by the Student Accommodation Office stating the date of termination from their course. The termination of tenancy is subject to 28 days notice, beginning on the day we receive confirmation from the tutor
  • Medical circumstances that require a student to leave Student Accommodation.  The termination of your tenancy is subject to 28 days notice, beginning on the day we receive confirmation from your doctor that your medical condition results in you being unable to stay in any of our Student Accommodation. 

All of the cases above involve an administrative fee of £50