Deans of School and Directors of Service are recommended to appoint a School/Service/Research Area Safety Co-ordinator from their staff. Appropriate training (IOSH accredited courses - "Working Safely" and "Managing Safely") is available from the Health and Safety Team to assist the Safety Co-ordinators to understand and perform their role and functions within their own area.
Role of the Safety Co-ordinator
The Safety Co-ordinator is concerned with the day-to-day safety organisation within his or her School, Service or building. Primary tasks are to advise and assist the Dean of School / Director of Service in the management of all health and safety matters and liaise between the School / Service and the Health and Safety Team. The Safety Co-ordinator will normally be a senior member of the academic or technical staff who has gained a wide experience and a sound understanding of the work carried out in his or her area. Safety Co-ordinators will require sufficient time to discharge their duties efficiently and should have the expertise necessary and the authority to perform these duties. The Safety Co-ordinator should act as a focus for the flow of health and safety information to, from and within their school or service.
In large Schools / Services the duties may be carried out by a number of employees, nominated by the Dean of School / Director of Service. The Safety Co-ordinator should monitor that the duties are being carried out satisfactorily.
Duties of the Safety Co-ordinator should include:
- Co-ordinate the School / Service / Research Area risk assessment programme.
- Being fully familiar with the University Health and Safety Policy and School / Service Health and Safety Policy.
- Acting with the delegated authority of the Dean of School / Director of Service in matters of urgency.
- Referring promptly to the Dean of School / Director of Service or the University's Health and Safety Team any health and safety problems which cannot be resolved locally on a time scale commensurate with the risk.
- Liaising with the University's Health and Safety Team for health and safety matters.
- Attending meetings of the School / Service health and safety committee.
- Conducting or co-ordinating systematic health and safety inspections with Safety Representatives, to identify unsafe or unhealthy conditions or work practices, and monitoring that recommended control methods are implemented.
- Ensuring that accidents, near misses and instances of occupational ill health are reported to the Health and Safety Team and Occupational Health Service.
- Disseminating health and safety information and reports to appropriate members of School / Service staff and students.
- Ensuring that new staff members and students of the School/Service receive adequate induction with respect to health and safety matters.
- Identify members of the School / Service for appropriate:
- health and safety training events;
- occupational health medical surveillance; and
- liaison with other internal or external health and safety specialists.
- General health and safety monitoring in the School / Service to ensure that standards are met.
- Reviewing periodically health and safety procedures within the School / Service.
List of Safety Co-ordinators in Schools/Services
Safety Co-ordinators Forums
The Health & Safety Team organise Safety Co-ordinators Forums.
This is an opportunity for Safety Co-ordinators to discuss their role and experiences and whether they feel they require additional assistance/training for this role. It also gives them an opportunity to meet Safety Co-ordinators from other areas of the University.
Safety Co-ordinators will be contacted directly by the Health & Safety Office with dates of scheduled forums.