Flexible Holiday Option
For many years, the University has had fourteen fixed holiday days each year which are based on the public holidays that are set by Edinburgh Council, excluding the May Day public holiday.
Responding to concerns raised by colleagues over a number of years, in particular around the adverse impact of the timing that some of these fixed holidays have on the student experience and the lack of flexibility afforded to staff when they can take this leave, members of the University Leadership Team sought to address these issues through negotiation with the trade unions.
Specifically, agreement was sought to permanently change four of the fixed holiday days to flexible holiday, the four fixed holiday days discussed were:
• Edinburgh Spring Holiday (Monday) in April (1 day)
• Mid-Term holiday (Monday and Tuesday) in May (2 days)
• Edinburgh Autumn holiday (Monday) in September (1 day)
Offers were made to both trade unions for agreeing to the proposed change:
Two ballots were conducted and EIS members voted to accept the offer and UNISON members voted to reject the offer.
What does this mean for staff?
• Academic and Research staff at grade 7 and below - the four fixed holiday days discussed will automatically convert to flexible holiday for all academic and research staff at grade 7 and below from 1 September 2018. An additional day annual leave will also be granted for one year only.
• Academic staff at grade 8 and above will be given the option to convert these four fixed holiday days to flexible holiday if they wish. If this option is chosen, an additional day annual leave will be granted for one year only.
• Professional Services staff who are not members of UNISON or who are at grade 8 and above will be given the option to convert these four fixed holiday days to flexible holiday if they wish. No additional annual leave day will be given.
• Professional Services staff who are members of UNISON will retain the current fourteen fixed holiday days each year and there will be no change, or option to change, their current annual leave entitlement.
With effect from the start of the 2018/19 academic year, the University will remain open and normal services will be available for students on these four days demonstrating our commitment to improving the student experience.
Requesting to change the four fixed holiday days to flexible holiday.
There is an ‘opt in’ window for requesting the change which is open between Thursday 15 March 2018 and Monday 30 April 2018.
Individual emails were sent to all staff from the Director of People and Services on Thursday 15 March. This email provides information of how to request the change. If you have not received this email please contact Human Resources on extension 3344.
were agreed as part of the negotiations with EIS so the University’s Annual Leave Policy will be updated to reflect these changes and will be applicable for all staff from 1 September 2018.
If you have any questions, please refer here
for further information. If you have additional questions you should discuss these with your manager or contact the HR team on 0131 455 3344 or by emailing HumanResources@napier.ac.uk