• Home
  • Login
  • Welcome to the Staff Intranet

Special Leave


As well as Annual Leave, Family Friendly policies (including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Parental leave), Flexible working and Flexitime there are various other situations in which you may be required to take time off work. Details of your entitlement in these situations is described below. If you have any questions about entitlement of leave please speak to your line manager in the first instance, or contact Human Resources & Development.

Special leave, with or without pay, may be granted at the discretion of the University at the request of an individual member of staff. All requests for special leave should be discussed with the Head of School / Service and the Special Leave Form completed and submitted to Human Resources & Development. Guidelines under which special leave will normally be granted are detailed in the sections below.

Compassionate Leave


Compassionate leave will normally be granted with pay in cases of serious illness or bereavement of a close family member. Leave of up to three days will normally be granted, but in special circumstances, the period of leave may be extended up to a further two days. Staff should also be made aware of Workplace Options and more information can be accessed via the attached link:



Leave for Jury Duty or as a Court Witness


Special leave will be granted to staff that are required to attend court for jury duty or as a witness. You will receive a citation form and a Certificate of Loss of Earnings form from the court and these should be submitted to Payroll before you attend court.
Whilst you are on jury duty or acting as a witness, the University will pay your regular salary, less any amount received from the court in respect of loss of earnings. The court will pay you a daily amount up to a maximum of around £65 depending on which court you attend and for how long.
Once the court has paid you, you are required to notify Payroll of this amount (not including expenses for travel or subsistence) by sending a copy of the cheque or remittance advice. If practical you will be expected to return to work for the rest of the day if you are discharged from jury service or from being a witness.


Leave for Training with the Reserve and Cadet Forces


Members of staff who have declared membership of a reserve force to the University can request two weeks' additional paid leave for attendance at annual camp or training. Any additional requests will be considered and would be granted as unpaid leave subject to approval. If you are called up on active service, please contact Human Resources & Development for advice concerning pay, pension and leave arrangements.

For more information regarding the reserve forces, please visit the Ministry of Defence Website.


Leave for Trade Union Duties


Trade Union officials will be granted a reasonable amount of paid time off work to allow them to perform their duties. Time off will also be granted to Trade Union Learning Representatives to help them promote workplace learning.  All reasonable paid time off will be agreed in advance with the recognised Trade Unions in line with the RPA


Further information regarding this is available on the ACAS site and can be accessed via the attached link: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2391


Leave for Public and Statutory Duties


Any member of staff who wishes to stand for election for public or statutory duties must inform the Director of Human Resources in writing, copying in their immediate line manager.

Special leave to attend elections may be granted as follows at the discretion of the  Director of Human Resources & Development:

• Maximum of five  days for candidates at Local Government elections (including polling day)
• Maximum of three weeks for candidates at parliamentary elections.

Any member of staff who is elected to public office and wishes to benefit from the scheme must notify both their line manager and Human Resources & Development.

More information regarding this is available on the Government web site that can be accessed via the attached link: https://www.gov.uk/time-off-work-public-duties.

Members of staff  are entitled to reasonable unpaid leave to perform public duties if they are a member of a recognised public or statutory body.

In exceptional circumstances, should this external position be linked to the individual’s role at the University and deemed to be of direct or indirect benefit to the University, some paid time may be agreed between the employee and their Line Manager to perform their public duties.

Reasonable unpaid time off should be discussed and agreed in advance between the member of staff and their line manager based on:

• how long the duties might take;
• the amount of time the member of staff has already had off for public duties; and
• how the time off will affect the business.

Please note requests for time off can be refused if they are considered to be unreasonable.

Human Resources & Development must be notified of the period of unpaid leave, and the line manager should do this by either:

• completing a special leave form, if the period of unpaid leave is for a short sporadic periods of time; or
• completing an employment details change form if the period of time is substantial e.g. greater than one day a week, for a substantial period of time e.g. longer than six months.  In this case it will become a permanent change to the individuals’ contract of employment.

Reasonable unpaid time off should be reviewed on an annual basis, normally as part of the PDR process.


Study Leave


Study leave or time off may be available for staff members undertaking job-related academic or professional studies. This leave can be granted to staff sitting examinations associated with an agreed (with the line manager / department) programme of study. The amount of study and examination leave will be at the discretion of the Head of School or Director of Service but should not normally exceed five days in any one year.



Time off for Dependent Care


Over and above the Special Leave referred to above, the University also provides for time off to deal with emergencies involving someone who is dependent upon you.

 Time off for Dependant Care Policy


Disability Leave Policy


Disability Leave is paid time away from work for disabled employees (or employees who are the main carer for someone with a disability) who need treatment, rehabilitation or assessment related to their disability. This type of leave is not sickness absence and should not be treated as such. It may be for a long or short period of time, and may or may not be pre-planned.

A management or self-referral must be completed (please view Occupational Health section for more information), in order to obtain confirmation of a condition likely to be covered by the Equality Act 2010 for the employee to qualify to utilise the University's Disability Leave Policy.

Notification of Disability Form must be completed initially by the employee, to inform the University and thereafter a Special Leave Form must be completed, and signed off for any disability related absences the employee has.