Multi-Function Device (MFD) Project
The University's staff and students print, copy and scan using the Multi-Function Devices (MFDs) which have now all been replaced.
The MFDs at Craiglockhart and Sighthill were replaced in 2019. This summer the MFDs at Merchiston were replaced with brand new MFDs - this work is now complete.
What are the benefits?
The MFD project will bring:
- Better user experience of printing, scanning and copying with more reliable machines replacing heavily utilised MFDs.
- An enhanced and customised user interface to make the devices more intuitive to use.
- A reduction in staff time troubleshooting worn out devices.
- An opportunity to refresh super-user staff training and review the super-user cover across the University for carrying out this important role.
Will I notice any differences?
The new devices work in a very similar way to the existing MFDs - the main difference you will notice is that the new devices have a touch screen rather than a key pad.
The log out process is slightly different, to log out either:
- Scan your Staff / Student card, or
- Click on your username / log ID on the top left and click Log out, or
- Click on the Log out icon on the touch screen:
You log in by scanning your Staff / Student card - the same as the existing MFDs.
The feedback we’ve had so far is that they are quicker and easier to use than the current devices.
What are the timescales?
The rollout of new MFDs at Craiglockhart and Sighthill is now complete, the roll out for Merchiston will take place on the 4th, 5th and 6th August.
Where can I find further information?
Further information about the existing MFD service can be found on the following page:
Staff: MFD intranet pages