Information Services is leading on a project to deliver a new cloud-based solution (InPlace) for managing nursing and midwifery students during their placement experience.
A key part of the project is to streamline current business processes and improve the student experience on Placement. This will be done by enabling students to view details relating to their placement including maps and contact details, allow them to submit expense forms and find information that may be required on placement, the system will send reminders and alerts and enable students to apply for placements online.
The system will enable self-service for students and up-to-date information to be accessible 24 hours a day.
- Edinburgh Napier configured self-help within the system
- Improved access to information to support decision making
- More efficient management reporting
- Enhanced data quality / consistency relating to placements
- Improvement in the security of personal information
- Improved operation efficiency and staff productivity
- Visibility in real time of student & placement information via web and mobile
- Students are able to access live placement information, leading to higher student satisfaction
- Increased understanding and expertise in the placement process from a staff, student and placement perspective
- Reduction in avoidable contacts
- Improved service delivery for students, staff and placement partners
The project will be delivered in six stages:
Stage 1: Analysis and Planning
This stage offers the opportunity to define and agree the implementation plan with the supplier, establish the deployment approach and agree training requirements
- Functional needs analysis & Business process mapping against the system workflow
- Implementation information gathering and planning
- Agreement of process for SITS Student Records System (SRS) interface
- Establish the deployment approach
- Specification of training requirements
- Creation of outline project plan against which project progress will be measured and reported to ensure achievement of the Go-Live date
Deliverables from Stage 1:
- Implementation Catalogue
- Project Plan
Milestones (Stage 1)
- Sign-off of Implementation Plan
Technical stages (2 - 4)
Stage 2: Technical Implementation
InPlace is a licensed services and software solution installed into hosted environment, enabling the placement team to access and use the live and development environments.
- Configuration of InPlace URLs
- SFTP set up - this is a secure protocol to transfer files between systems
- Single Sign-On (SSO) configured
- Email Configuration
Stage 3: Student Record System Integration
The data extracts will be configured and an interface to SITS built to enable the student information to be seamlessly integrated.
Deliverables from Stage 3:
- Development of the Student Record System interface
- Upload of Student Record System Data extracts
- Nightly SRS extract build configured
Stage 4: Data Migration Implementation
SITS student record system and Placement provider data will be cleansed and migrated from existing systems.
Deliverables from Stage 4:
- Training on data migration tools
- SRS interface built
- Data cleansed and formatted for migration
- Data migration from existing system (SITs and data repositories using data migration tools
- Data Migration complete
Milestones (Stage 2 to 4)
- Signed off completed implementation plan
- System has been successfully installed onto the hosted environment
Stage 5: Training and Pilot Deployment
The outcomes of this stage include a fully configured development and live system, completed training and pilot of the system.
Deliverables from Stage 5:
- System users have been trained
- InPlace user training as defined in implementation plan is complete
- Agreed key functionality is operating successfully
- Training environment configured
- Final system configuration
- Pilot if Midwifery and QMU students
- Deployment of pilot software
System is mapped to process maps created in Stage 1
Milestones (Stage 5)
- Sign-off the application support agreement
Stage 6: System Deployment and Training
Full deployment of system to all placement staff and students
Deliverables from Stage 6:
- All students live in system
- Detailed communications for staff, students and Placement providers
Milestones (Stage 6)
- New 2018 intake and existing students managed in the system
- The placement management system that was selected through the standard Procurement process is InPlace.
- InPlace is a cloud-based Placement Management System hosted by QuantumIT.
- The placement team have cleansed the SITS data ready to migrate this into the InPlace system.
- The technical teams have set up Single Sign-On and tested connectivity.
- The Placement team have had Super User training.
- The Implementation Catalogue is in the process of being finalised to enable the suppliers to configure the system.
Project Team: Who’s who?
- Project Sponsor: Tracy Humphrey – H&SC
- Business Owner: Irene McKenzie
- Project Manager: Gail Devaney