Staff Workplace to the Cloud Project
What is the Staff Workplace?
The Staff Workplace is an onsite secure collaboration and document sharing platform used by members of staff at Edinburgh Napier University. The Staff Workplace (many people just refer to it as SharePoint) currently contains around 25,000 team pages and sites and around 900,000 documents and is used University-wide as the main workplace for people to store documents and work collaboratively across departments.
Moving Staff Workplace to the cloud
This project will move our onsite service to a new cloud based platform. There are a number of technical and user benefits for this migration.
- User friendly interface – the new platform will be more user friendly and intuitive than the current Staff Workplace with features such as drag and drop files into libraries.
- Fully compatible with mobile devices, Microsoft Office and web browsers – Users will be able to work seamlessly between email, the Staff Workplace and other Microsoft applications on their desktop and tablets, phones and laptops.
- Supports the way we collaborate internally and through current processes share externally with other associate staff members. IS and Governance services are working to provide further collaborative functionality can be offered in a safe and secure environment as part of the Microsoft 365 service roll out.
- Reliable platform – the cloud service is supported by Microsoft
- Safe and secure – the cloud platform affords added security especially for the collaboration with partners outwith the University.
- Releases assets – moving to the cloud service frees up support and maintenance time and resources on our technical infrastructure.
As a taster of what might be the difference for you as an end user, have a look at this on what you use SharePoint for! There are many opportunities to use SharePoint for more than just file storage as many do now. As part of the wider Office365 product (you are using for email/Skype already) you can access FREE TRAINING
material or just have browse as a taster of what might be the different for you as an end user. Just click on the SharePoint icon for that specific overview.
Our own SharePoint service page
has been updated to reflect the changes to the new SharePoint Service and there are some helpful tips, FAQ and familiarisation videos
About the Project
This Project was launched in 2018 and is being run by Information Services Project Management Office. Whilst we have been exploring and learning about the new SharePoint in Office365 we have also be working with Departments and Schools to identify Staff Workplace site owners and work with them to review sites, files and folders in order to help ready ourselves for migration.
We have completed a pilot phase to migrate Information Services to the Office 365 SharePoint service which has allowed us to fully test the migration process and ensure the service transition is as smooth as possible for other departments in the University.
All staff who have material on Staff Workplace now have an opportunity to:
- Review current uses of the Staff Workplace
- Review current team sites and the files and documents held within the Staff Workplace in line with our records retention policies and governance.
The project Team will be in touch over the coming weeks/months to agree with your department when the migrations will take place.
- Project Manager: Stacy Robb - Information Services
- User Engagement Workstream Lead: Emma Farthing – Information Services
- Technical Workstream Lead: Iain Bruce – Information Services
- Governance Workstream Lead: Aimi Richmond - Governance
Queries / Get Involved
If you would like to know more about this project or raise any questions or concerns please contact the IS Service Desk in the first instance who will direct our queries to the appropriate team member.