Research & Publications
The Centre is interested in undertaking research in all areas related to mental health and capacity law, rights and policy, including:
- Care and Treatment
- Deprivation of Liberty
- Legislative Change
- Capacity Issues
- Mental Health and the Workplace
Three Jurisdictions Report – Towards Compliance with CRPD Art. 12 in Capacity/Incapacity Legislation across the UK
The Centre has recently been involved with the Arts and Humanities Research Council funded Essex Autonomy Project ‘Three Jurisdictions Project’, which brought together various collaborators to provide technical research support to UK government bodies in preparation for the upcoming UN review of UK compliance with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The project collaborators were the University of Essex, the Centre for Mental Health and Incapacity Law, Rights and Policy, TC Young Solicitors, barristers’ chambers 39 Essex Chambers and 11 Kings Bench Walk Chambers.
The project’s final report can be read here.
Employer Responses to Dementia in the Workplace in Scotland
Professor Jill Stavert is leading a Carnegie funded research project to explore how employers in Scotland support their employees with dementia and assessing whether they are meeting their legal duties under the Equality Act. The project is being carried out in collaboration with Dr Valerie Egdell (Employment Research Institute, Edinburgh Napier University), Dr Louise Ritchie (University of the West of Scotland), Professor Michael Danson (Heriot Watt University) and Professor Debbie Tolson (University of the West of Scotland).
The Essex Autonomy Project, Three Jurisdictions Report – Towards Compliance with CRPD Article 12 in Capacity/Incapacity Legislation across the UK (2016), available here.
- UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, Article 12 Submission – Jill Stavert Response.
- Scottish Government, A consultation on draft proposals for a Mental Health Bill – Jill Stavert Response.
- Scottish Government, Call for Written Evidence on Mental Health (Scotland) Bill 2014 – Jill Stavert Response.
- 'Good Practice Guide - Supported Decision Making', Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland. Available here.
- ‘Deprivation of Liberty update’ Guidance, Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (2015).
- Stavert J, Deprivation of liberty: A good practice guide, Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (2013).