National Student Survey Staff Hub
Welcome to the National
Student Survey (NSS) Staff Hub – where you can access all the information and
materials you will need for telling students about the 2019 National Student
The aim of the NSS
Staff Hub is to equip you so that you can confidently communicate about the NSS:
what it is, why it’s important, and how to complete the survey.
Academic staff are
vital to the success of the NSS campaign. Following
on from the 2018 NSS, participants were asked how they found out about the
survey. Overall 52% stated they heard about the survey from a lecturer or
member of staff. This highlights how vital the role of academic staff is
when encouraging student participation in the NSS.
is open to final year undergraduate students and is administered by the
research agency Ipsos MORI. The official Edinburgh Napier survey launch
date is the 28 of January and the survey will remain open until
30 April 2019. However please encourage your students to
complete the survey as early as possible.
tell final year students about the survey and share the website address with
The Edinburgh Napier
communications campaign will begin on Monday 28 January although all eligible
students can participate in the survey from when it first opens on the 7 January.
download the materials below to find out about how you can help to make the
campaign a success for the University. And if you’d like to speak to someone in
the marketing team about the NSS, please email email@example.com
NSS 2019 Academic Staff Briefing Document - Provides a complete overiew of the campagin.
NSS Questions 2019 - Read the full list of questions
NSS Powerpoint slide 1 - You talk, we'll listen - Blue
Email Header - Save the image and add it to your email
Email Signature Footer - Save the image and promote the campaign in your email signature
NSS 2019 key information and dates:
- Final year students have been given the opportunity to opt out and the remaining 2,365 students will be invited to participate in NSS 2019.
- The survey for the University’s final year students will launch on 28 January 2019. Students who are eligible to take part will receive an email from Ipsos MORI about the survey with a direct web link to the questionnaire. They will receive this initial email contact on 31 January 2019.
- Students are given three weeks to complete the survey online. Non-completion during the first three weeks means an SMS message will be sent to students.
- Non-completion within a further two week period means telephone contact by Ipsos MORI begins (again, the option of completing online remains). Telephoning will commence on 18 February 2019.
- The survey will close on 30 April 2019.
- The University receives the results in August 2019.
Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES)
The PTES is an annual survey of postgraduate students. The aim of the survey is to support higher education institutions to enhance their postgraduate provision. As with the NSS, academic staff are vital to the success of PTES and support the survey by encouraging students to take part.
PTES 2019 Key Information and Dates
- The PTES will open on 8 April 2019 and close on 14 June 2019.
- Students who are eligible to take part will receive an initial email from Nicola Kivlichan on 8 April. Each student is sent a unique link allowing them to access the survey.
- New in 2019 – all full time postgraduate students will be surveyed but part time students will only be surveyed when they are in their final year of study.
- Results will be available in July 2019.