Staff Car Parking
Hours of operation
Sighthill and Craiglockhart
Parking between the hours of 8am and 4pm Monday to Friday is strictly for registered permit holders and pre-booked university guests who are allocated a parking bay for the campus they are visiting.
Parking between the hours of 7am and 5pm Monday to Friday is strictly for registered permit holders and pre-booked university guests who are allocated a parking bay for the campus.
UKPC monitor our campus car parks and surrounding areas. If a user does not have a valid permit, then UKPC will address this by means of a parking ticket.
Campus car parking for Trimester 1 2023/24
All Campuses are free of charge, but are at full capacity with no additional permits currently available.
If you already have a permit, including a temporary permit, this will carry on into the new academic year. You do not need to reapply, but please make sure your vehicle details are up to date. Please only email email@example.com if you are updating the vehicle details, or to let us know if you have a permit that you no longer require.
UKPC will be patrolling all our car parks, so you must make sure you have a permit in place before you begin using the car parks.
All permits are now checked via your car registration details, so there is no need to display any old permits.
A car parking review will be carried out in 2023. We will update as soon as we have further information.
Applying for a permit
All parking permits are issued by the Car Parking Team. You can contact them on 0131 455 5000 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that parking spaces on any campus cannot be guaranteed on a day-to-day basis, even where a permit has been granted.
For further information, refer to the Car Parking FAQs.
Use the online Car Parking Application Form to apply for campus car parking.
Car Parking Application Form - Guidance Notes
1. All fields on the form must be completed. The system will not accept a form if any of the fields are incomplete.
2. An automatic reply will be dispatched to acknowledge that the request has been received and is being processed. The message does not mean that you have been successful in obtaining a permit.
3. Applicants' payroll number can be found on their staff badge or on request from Human Resources.
4. At the "Type of Permit" field the applicant will select from the drop down menu the type of permit they require. The options are as follows:
- Standard - Issued to a specific car park with multi-site use.
- Temporary Badge - If you require a temporary permit (less than 6 months) due to a mobility issue then you should contact Human Resources (People Operations).
- Council Blue Badge - If you have a Council Blue Badge, you can park in any of the marked bays on Campus other than visitors bays and you must clearly display the valid permit.
5. At the "Email" field applicants are asked to indicate the email address to which the automatic reply will be sent.
6. Car park charges apply in all University car parks within the City of Edinburgh. Car park charges will apply to those members of staff who are successful in obtaining a permit and whose work requires them to be on campus. Car Park charging periods will apply between 7am-5pm at Merchiston Campus and 9am-4pm at Craiglockhart and Sighthill. Car parking charges do not apply to motorcycles as this is in line with ECC policy.
In the event of a member of staff or student not being able to secure a permit, or in the event of permit privileges being revoked, a procedure governing appeals has been put in place. In these instances any appeal should be made in writing within 14 days to the Facilities Services Manager, clearly stating the reason for the appeal. The appeal letter should also contain any other information that is relevant and should be considered. The Facilities Services Manager will endeavour to review the matter within a reasonable period of time and to notify the applicant in writing of their decision.
If the applicant is unhappy with the decision of the Facilities Services Manager, a final appeal can be made, in writing, to the Director of Property & Facilities. This final appeal must be lodged within 7 days of the notice from the Facilities Services Manager. The Director of Property & Facilities will endeavour to hear the appeal as soon as possible and will notify the applicant in writing of their decision. The decision of the Director of Property & Facilities will be final.
Temporary permits are available to accommodate staff or students who have a temporary condition were there is a need to park close to the buildings. Please email email@example.com you would like to apply for this permit.
We have a number of visitor parking spaces at all our campuses to facilitate University guests. Please be aware that these spaces must be booked in advance. If a guest parks in one of our visitor spaces without having booked, they will be issued with a penalty charge.
Visitors Spaces are for external visitors only, not staff or students. Requests must be made at least one working day in advance of the date required via Resource Booker by the University staff member who is organising. If you need to make a booking (one working day or less), please complete the On the Day Visitors Parking formand email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking outwith the University
If you choose to park on-street, you must pay the appropriate fee or you will receive a penalty charge. You will be responsible for paying this and the University will not consider any claims for car parking penalty charges by the council’s parking attendants.
If you park in our surrounding communities, please try to be considerate by making sure you aren’t using car parks designed for shop customers, blocking entrances or exits, parking on pavements or obstructing residents’ driveways. Help us be a good neighbour to the people we share our community with and take extra care when deciding where to leave your car.
The University is a corporate member of the Enterprise Car Club. As a result, both staff and students over 21 years of age can obtain a year’s free personal membership.
To claim your first year’s free personal membership, get your promotional code by emailing email@example.com before completing the enrolment form with Enterprise Car Club.