In this section:
The European Union provides a broad range of funding to support activities including:
- Research, Innovation and Enterprise; from Lab to Market
- Education and Training
- Boosting industrial competitiveness
Much of the funding available aligns closely with Edinburgh Napier’s Shaping our Future: Driving Distinctiveness Strategy, such as:
- Building our reputation as a leader in research, teaching and innovation in education
- Growing our research profile in areas of academic strength and potential
- Building strategic partnerships at home and in targeted regions of the world
- Expanding opportunities for staff and students to work in teams and across disciplines
- Growing transnational higher education delivery and the international accessibility of our programmes
Support with European Funding
RIE provides a range of support to our academic community in relation to EU Funding, this includes:
- Early intelligence on funding calls
- Guidance on funding criteria and funders requirements
- Assistance developing project ideas
- Assistance in identifying suitable Consortia Partners
- Assistance with non-technical aspects of grant applications
- Advice and guidance on costing applications
- Support during the negotiation of grants and contracts
- Advice on possible sources of match funding (if required)
- Top tips for writing a Horizon Europe and other European funding proposals
If you have any questions or would like further information, please contact your Research Funding Manager.
Members of Edinburgh Napier University staff can sign up to Research Professional to access funding and news services, set up email alerts of funding opportunities or news in specific areas of interest and share resources with other users.
Scotland Europa helps Scottish organisations foster successful European relationships, providing guidance on European policies and funding.
In addition Scotland House (Brussels) provides excellent conference centre facilities, offering an ideal location for hosting events with both Scottish and European focus.
UKRO promotes effective UK engagement in EU research, innovation, and higher education activities and the portal provides detailed information and the latest news on these areas.
Any researcher, research manager or administrator with an interest in EU research programmes or policies, who wants to be up to date with the latest news, opportunities and insight will benefit from access to the UKRO portal.
Horizon Europe is the EU's next Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, with a budget of €95.5bn over the period 2021-2027 (an increase of €15.5bn from Horizon 2020 budget of €80bn).
UKRO has compiled a list of useful factsheets to help us become familiar with the main aspects of the new programme. Further factsheets will be systematically added to the list as more information about Horizon Europe becomes available.
UK participation in Horizon Europe
For latest information on UK association to Horizon Europe.
European Commission factsheets
Horizon Europe (structure, novelties and financing)
Strategic Planning Process and Strategic Plan for Horizon Europe
Participation in Horizon Europe: Keeping it Simple (implementation aspects)
UKRO factsheets on Horizon Europe structure and funding priorities
Implementation Strategy for Horizon Europe
International Cooperation and Association Policy
European Cooperation in Science & Technology (COST)
Missions in Horizon Europe
The KTN Network has also made available a series of webinars to introduce each of the Horizon Europe Cluster areas in more detail, so you can get prepared before the first funding calls are announced, start thinking about who you would like to collaborate and form partnerships with, and to have all the information you need in advance.