• Home
  • Login
  • Welcome to the Staff Intranet



When you publish data, you will need to provide licence information to tell other users how they may use your data. Licences are based on database rights and copyright which often applies to datasets, through the content, or the arrangement of content within a database. There are different types of licence you use to do this. A list of licence types can be found on the Creative Commons website. Guidance on how to licence data can be accessed on the DCC website


Usually the rights in datasets generated by Edinburgh Napier University staff and students are owned by the University, but this may not always be the case and if you are collaborating with or funded by any third parties you should check the terms of any agreements before publishing your data.


The Edinburgh Napier University Research Data Policy states that any licences applied to data should ensure the originator of the dataset is properly acknowledged. The University does not normally recommend the use of licences which restrict commercial use.