• Home
  • Login
  • Welcome to the Staff Intranet

Travel Forms

Any member of staff or student planning to travel overseas on official University business should always complete a travel risk assessment form prior to any travel and/ or accommodation being booked*.  The travel risk assessment is an essential part of preparation for overseas travel and should be undertaken well in advance of any trip.  The University also has a duty of care to all staff and students who are planning on travelling overseas on University business and needs to be assured that travellers have fully considered any risks and have put appropriate precautions in place. ​​

Online Travel Risk Assessment - staff

Online Travel Risk Assessment Form (for staff)  (guidance on completing online form)

(Should you have any questions regarding the system, please contact Sean Hughes​ Health & Safety Adviser​)

Detailed risk assessment (for high risk activities)

If the journey entails potential high risk activity, for instance completing fieldwork/research, a more in-depth risk assessment should be completed


Risk Assessment - students

See Travel Policy - Students​

Key resources for staff travelling abroad

**UMAL Travel Cover - Coronavirus Outbreak​

An expanded e-learning facility to assist both staff and students prior to travel
An online pl​atform which combines 24/7/365 realtime alerts with country analysis and advice delivered through a single web portal and mobile app​​

Travel Assistance Service​ - operated by Global Response +44 (0)2920 662425  UMAL@global-response.co.uk 

Travel Cover Document and Travel Cover Summary

  • These documents should always be carried when travelling on University business
  • The emergency medical expenses cover will provide you with advice and assistance should you become ill or sustain injury during your journey

Other useful resources

Safer Adventures : Managing the Risks of Adventure Travel​ - British Standard for adventurous activities outside the United Kingdom (BS 8848:2014)

Higher Education Sector Guidance on Health and Safety in Fieldwork and Travel​ - USHA (Universities Safety and Health Association)​

IOSH Safety without borders - keeping your staff healthy and safe abroad​


University Travel Policy

Travel Overseas Policy for Staff​

Travel Overseas Policy for Students​


* Booking of travel - Travel Partner

Booking of travel should be through the University’s contracted travel partner who is appointed via a fully compliant OJEU tendering process. The travel partner is the external organisation who liaises with the University travel booker on behalf of the employee to book travel arrangements. The travel partner can arrange flights, some overseas trains (all UK rail journeys should be booked through ScotRail Business Travel), car hire, visa and accommodation​ requirements. 

If bookings are not made through our travel partner then the traveller does not have access to the 24hr support provision.  Our travel partner provide a 24/7/365 support service to assist travellers experiencing flight delays, cancellations and travel problems or travellers affected by a crisis situation. Our travel partner’s specialists are trained to provide active crisis support and fast reaction times. When travellers may be facing the most risk or danger, their agents focus on finding and implementing the most appropriate solution. This service is free of charge for University staff.​