Information Security Training
Information Services are pleased to announce the launch of our new Information Security Awareness training. This course will help you understand the risks and what you can do to protect the University, and yourself, by minimising the likelihood and impact of information security incidents.
This self-paced course developed by UCISA to raise awareness of Information Security within academic institutions. Throughout the course, there are references to University policies, procedures and guidance. Links to these documents are available on the training page under the heading “Links to University Resources”.
The course contains videos which show the worst possible outcomes to some security scenarios. However, if you follow the advice in this course, you can reduce the risk of these types of incidents happening to you. Despite the negative tone of some of these videos - and stories about security breaches you may have read in the news - preventing serious security incidents is possible if you follow the guidance in the course.
As you’ll have seen with increasing regularity in the news, worldwide occurrences and consequences of information security incidents and cyber-attacks are growing. As a highly-connected institution with students and staff around the globe, the University is of course a potential target for these incidents and attacks, and it is the responsibility of all staff members to help to protect the University’s information, especially personal and research data.
We hope that you enjoy the course and please remember to download your certificate and provide feedback once you have completed the assessment at the end of the course.
What does the training cover?
The training covers the following areas:
- Protecting Information
- Physical and Procedural Security
- Working Remotely and in the Cloud
- Common Threats and how to Counter Them
- Why Research is Different
What does the training involve?
- Is designed for you to complete at your own pace.
- Takes approximately 90 minutes in total but can be carried out on a modular basis that you can return to at any time.
- Consists of 6 small modules followed by an assessment once all the modules are completed.
- Will issue you a certificate of completion once you have successfully passed the assessment.
How do I access the training?
The training is accessed via Moodle Community. All staff members have been auto-enrolled in the course: