This page tells you how to find journals when you already know the title of the journal. Most of our journals are online, but some are only available in print.
How do I find if the full text is available from the Library?
Journal article details will look something like this (if the reference includes a volume number and page numbers, it is very likely to be a journal article).
Kotter, J., (2008). Sense of Urgency, Leadership Excellence. 25 (3), p. 10.
You can simply enter keywords into the LibrarySearch main search box. However, due to the large number of results available, you may not find a specific article on the first page of your results.
You can try 'Tweak my Results' and selecting Format > Articles to narrow down your results.
Difficulty finding what you are looking for?
If you can't find the article, check the ejournals list.
In LibrarySearch, click on ejournals, and enter the title of the journal (not the title of the article).
Journal not held at the Library?
First check SUNCAT. This helps you find journals are held by other academic libraries in the UK.
- Limit 'location' to Edinburgh, unless you are prepared to travel.
- Please ask in any Edinburgh Napier library before you visit an external library for the first time. You may need some documentation from us first.
Libraries do not keep all journals forever, so you should check their online catalogue before visiting - See Other Libraries and bookshops.
If another library holds a journal online only it is likely that you will not be able to access this due to licensing agreements.
Please note the following in particular:
- National Library of Scotland - Postgraduate students and staff - You can apply for a general reader's card. See details.
- Edinburgh University libraries - You will need your staff card and a Sconul Access card, obtainable from any Edinburgh Napier campus library. See details.
- Edinburgh College of Art - This is now a site library of Edinburgh University, so you search for books using the Edinburgh University Library catalogue. You will need your staff card and a Sconul Access card, obtainable from any Edinburgh Napier campus library.
- Heriot Watt University - You will need your staff card and a Sconul Access card, obtainable from any Edinburgh Napier campus library.
- Queen Margaret University - You will need your staff card and a Sconul Access card, obtainable from any Edinburgh Napier campus library.
SCONUL Access cards can also be used for access to other academic libraries in Scotland and the rest of the UK. If you wish to visit another library outside Edinburgh, see Other Libraries and bookshops, or ask at any Enquiry Desk.
Journal not held in Edinburgh?
If the journal is not held anywhere in Edinburgh, you may be able request the article through our Inter Library Loan service.
You will normally receive the article in electronic format to be printed out. Items are likely to take at least 10 days to arrive.