Introduction to Microsoft Teams
Update October 2021: Microsoft have announced some changes to meeting recordings within MS Teams - find out more
Microsoft Teams brings conversations, content, assignments, and apps together in one place. It offers a centralised hub for communication and collaboration within a team, department or student group, allowing content sharing and access to other apps.
MS Teams integrates directly with all Office 365 applications such as SharePoint and Planner, making it easy for you to communicate and collaborate securely wherever you are with students and staff.
- Collaborate - work with your team in real-time enabling you to edit documents and discuss ideas collaboratively
- Group Chat - send instant messages to your team
- Online Virtual Meeting - host or join and collaborate with Virtual Meetings
- Share - your screen, PowerPoint Presentation, running programs, interactive whiteboard and more with other people
- Audio Calls - make high quality audio calls with an individual or a group of colleagues
Microsoft Teams is available to all Edinburgh Napier University Students and Staff.
- Create Teams and channels for tracking projects, conversations, files, and meetings
- Chat with text, audio, video, and file sharing
- Store all your files, docs, and more in one place
- Schedule meetings that automatically integrate with your existing Outlook calendar
- Meet with up to 250 people at the same time
- Share your desktop, applications, or a whiteboard during meetings
- Automatically record and upload video, audio, and shared content from meetings to Microsoft Stream
- Presence indication based on each person's Teams activity, manual status settings, and Outlook calendar
- Integrate your favourite apps - Planner, Trello, GitHub, and many more (Note: currently Edinburgh Napier University only allows connection to other Office 365 apps)
Chat-based team workspaces
- Chat instantly with peers and colleagues from on or off-campus
- Quickly get in touch using video calls
- Create teams to organise your files, tasks and projects
- Customise your Team workspace to fit your needs
Desktop and mobile apps
- Stay connected from your Windows or Mac computer, or on the go with the Android and iOS mobile apps
- Configure your notifications, so you never miss a message or update
Integrated Office apps and OneDrive
- Work together on documents with integrated Office 365 apps, like Word and Excel
- Easily access and share files from your OneDrive account, right from the app
To request a team workspace
, please use the form here
on UniDesk. Please be aware that in order to complete the form you will first need to read the guidance on Team Types
Previously you had use both MS Teams and Skype for Business (S4B) for internal calls, meetings and chat (IM).
S4B will no longer be available after 31 July 2021. After this point, if anyone sends you an S4B message, it will appear in your Teams app.
Getting Started with MS Teams
There’s a lot of information out there, and it can be daunting. We have assembled our top picks for getting started with MS Teams below.
More guides from Microsoft:
Further support can be found here: