Mobile Device Management
Over the last few months, Information Services (IS) have been piloting a Mobile Device Management (MDM) service within IS.
Information Services are now delighted to give all staff the opportunity to enrol for the service.
What is Mobile Device Management?
Mobile Device Management (MDM), also occasionally referred to as Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM), enables the centralised, secure control and management of University owned mobile devices and University data.
It offers protection if a University owned device is lost or stolen by giving Information Services the ability to wipe and disable University owned devices.
The MDM software utilised by the University is AirWatch which can be installed on most devices.
What’s in it for me?
- It ensures compliance with the Information Security Policy, effectively protecting the University’s data and you as a staff member.
- It enables you to securely access University email and data on personal and University owned Mobile Devices.
- When installed on a University device it provides peace of mind that University data is secure and that the device can be centrally wiped and disabled if lost or stolen.
- It encourages Information Security good practice by requiring a device password / passcode to be set on the device.
- It automatically encrypts University data ensuring that all data stored on the device is only accessible to you, the device owner – you enter your password/passcode to access the data. Anyone attempting to gain access directly (e.g. by removing a devices storage card) will not be able to access the data.
- You will automatically receive the configuration settings to access University email without manual setup.
- You can easily download and access University and departmental apps.
- It enables you to track and locate your allocated devices.
- You can be remotely contacted by Information Services, including the ability to be sent a message or alert to the device.
- It can be installed quickly and easily on most devices.
The intention is that this voluntary opt-in service will become compulsory for all Edinburgh Napier owned Staff mobile devices once revised Information Security Policies have been reviewed and published, so by installing AirWatch now you’re ahead of the game!
How do I install AirWatch MDM?
Installation guides for devices can be found on askNapier:
Android - AirWatch MDM Installation Instructions
Apple iOS – AirWatch MDM Installation Instructions
MacOS - AirWatch MDM Installation Instructions
Windows 10 - AirWatch MDM Installation Instructions
You can use the AirWatch Self Service website to view details of your devices enrolled in AirWatch. This also enables you to reset your device PIN if forgotten.
To log in you will need your Group ID - you can find this by going to the AirWatch app on your mobile device.
How do I Uninstall AirWatch MDM?
If you would like to uninstall AirWatch read the following article:
Uninstalling AirWatch MDM from a device
Before you uninstall AirWatch please be aware that For Information Security, it is likely that AirWatch MDM enrolment will become compulsory in the future.
If you require further help or would like further information about the MDM service please contact the IS Service Desk in the first instance.