Energy saving tips
Every action counts! Here are some simple tips to reduce energy usage on campus that can make a big difference. Together we can make a meaningful contribution to our university's sustainability efforts and to a greener future.
- Turn off computers, screens, printers and photocopiers when you leave your office for the evening.
- Lights when not in room
- Only fill kettles as much as you need them
- Ensure booked spaces are used effectively
- Report any energy saving opportunities to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only power-up equipment when required
- Do not switch off fridges and fridge freezers
- Compile a clear list of any equipment that must stay on and turn off the rest of the equipment at the end of the day
- Only use hot water when required
- Switch off lights when vacating rooms
- Keep windows closed during the winter
- Only open spaces or power-up equipment when required
- Switch off lights and equipment in spaces when not in use
- Actively manage all evening and weekend commercial events into specific zoned areas so that heating and lighting can be better controlled
- Switch off lighting and equipment at the end of each event, including catering equipment where applicable
- Discuss possibility of computer automatic switch-on and switch-off and consider server and other equipment options
- Record usage of spaces, notably during evenings and weekends
- Follow procedures for effective equipment management
- Highlight common issues or opportunities
- Continue monitoring of 24/7 spaces
Has your team implemented changes or run projects to reduce your carbon footprint? Let us know! Email J.Benzie@napier.ac.uk.