TV for Teaching
Box of Broadcasts (BoB)
Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is a shared service giving staff and students at educational institutions access to TV and radio recordings for educational purposes.
BoB allows you to:
- View TV and radio programmes from the BBC going back to 2007.
- Choose and record any upcoming broadcast programme from 65+ TV and radio channels. The recorded programmes are then kept indefinitely, with all content shared by users across all subscribing institutions.
- Record missed programmes from a 30 day buffer.
- Edit programmes into clips, create playlists, link to clips from Moodle, easily create one-click citations.
How do I get started?
BoB is available at Learning on Screen or via the LibrarySearch A-Z Database list.
Video: How to use and search Box of Broadcasts
Video: How to make and use playlists in Box of Broadcasts
See BoB short video tutorials and Frequently Asked Questions.
NOTE: BoB is only for use within the UK.
Linking to programmes on BoB from Moodle
The easiest way to link to BoB from Moodle is to copy the link to a BoB programme and paste it into Moodle as a URL.
To find the direct link within BoB, click on any programme or clip and click ‘Embed’ at the bottom of the screen. Select WAYFless URL (if you are sharing only with Edinburgh Napier students and staff), and then copy this URL into Moodle.
You can also embed a video, by copying the ‘Embed as Code’ option from BoB National and adding it to the <> (HTML Source Editor) in a Moodle page. Students will still need to login to BOB National to view.
Content not available on BoB
The Library already holds a large collection of programmes that have been recorded prior to 2014. This includes recordings of documentaries, current affairs programmes and feature films, which may be available on the Online Video Service, on DVD, CD or video.
• Search for the programme or film on LibrarySearch.
Please read Using TV Recordings as a Teaching Resource for more information on the service.