Managed Laptop - Docking Guidance
The hybrid working spaces are being equipped with the facility to connect your University managed laptop to a docking solution via a single USB C cable that will:
- Connect to 2 external monitors, allowing you to work simultaneously across up to 3 screens (including your laptop screen if desired)
- Give you access to a full-size keyboard and mouse on the desk and a monitor mounted or integrated webcam
- Provide you with a fast, secure wired connection to the University network – no need to connect to Wi-Fi
- Charge your laptop.
Frequently asked questions
How do I connect my laptop to the Docking Stations / Docking Monitors?
Will my laptop charge when connected to the USB-C cable?
The vast majority of University managed laptops will charge when connected to the USB-C cable. High powered managed laptops (e.g. HP ZBooks) and Apple MacBooks may only retain existing or trickle charge when using the USB-C connection. If you have one of these devices we recommend you carry your charger to use when connected to the docking station.
How do I change my main display?
To change your main display screen:
- Right click on your desktop and choose Display settings.
- From the Rearrange your displays section select the screen that you wish to make your main display.
- From the Multiple displays section click on the checkbox: Make this my main display.
How do I blur my MS Teams background to ensure the privacy and security of my colleagues?
You can add a background image or blur your background to conceal what is behind you when on MS Teams calls. You can do this either when joining a meeting or during a meeting and you'll find instructions on the Microsoft website: Change your background for a Teams meeting
How do I use my USB-C headset and a docking station if my laptop only has one USB-C port?
Information Services have supplies of adapters that will allow you to use a standard USB port on your laptop instead. These can be collected from Information Services - there's no need to fill out a device request form for these items.
Where do I find out more about Hybrid Working?
You'll find out more about the Hybrid Working trial on the HR intranet pages: Hybrid Working
Further help and support
If you have any problems connecting your laptop to the docking stations / docking monitors, or have any further questions, please contact the IS Service Desk