• Home
  • Login
  • Welcome to the Staff Intranet
Coronavirus - Staff FAQs

Managing coronavirus symptoms


I’m showing symptoms of coronavirus – what should I do?

You should not leave your home if you have coronavirus symptoms (this is called self-isolation). Immediate online advice is available via the NHS 111 online coronavirus service. To protect others, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Stay at home for seven days from the start of your symptoms, even if you think your symptoms are mild.


You should not leave your home for any reason – if you need food or medicine order them by phone or online, ask someone else to drop them off at your home. You should not have visitors in your home. You can use your garden, if you have one. Any exercise should be taken at home.


You can find NHS advice to help people safely self-isolate and reduce the risk of infection being spread here


This BBC link explains what the symptoms of coronavirus feel like.


You should phone NHS 24 (111) if:

·       breathlessness develops or worsens, particularly if you’re in a high or extremely high risk group

·       your symptoms worsen during home isolation, especially if you’re in a high or extremely high risk group

·       your symptoms have not improved in 7 days


If you have a medical emergency, phone 999 and tell them you have COVID-19 symptoms.

You should contact your manager to update them of your situation and thereafter keep in regular contact with them. You should follow the Government advice on how to safely self-isolate. Your absence will be classified as sick leave and your manager will update your HR Connect record to reflect this. You can refer to the University's Attendance Management Policy for further guidance.

After 7 days, if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to continue to self-isolate.  If you still have a high temperate, you should keep isolating until your temperature retains to normal.  You do not need to self-isolate if you just have a cough after 7 days, as a cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

Do the people I live with need to take any action if I have symptoms?

If you live with other people and you are the first in the household to have symptoms, then you must stay at home for 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill. 

If anyone else in the household develops symptoms within the 14 days, they need to stay at home for 7 days from the day their symptoms began. They should do this even if it takes them over the 14-day isolation period. Staying at home will greatly reduce the overall amount of infection the household could pass on to others in the community.

If you self-isolated for 14 days because you live with someone who had symptoms, you can stop isolating on the fifteenth day as long as you have no symptoms. If you become unwell within the 14 days you should isolate for 7 days from the day your symptoms started. You should do this even if it takes you over the 14-day isolation period. 


I am a manager, what do I need to do if one of my team is unable to work due to coronavirus?

You should ensure that they are following the current medical advice. It is important that you record their absence on HR Connect on the same day you are informed of it. Instructions for recording absence are contained in the last section of this document.


Do I require a fit note to cover an absence from work due to coronavirus?

To prevent the spread of infection, you do not need to obtain a fit note from your GP to cover absence due to coronavirus. Should you require any medical help or advice during a period of self-isolation you should contact your GP surgery or NHS 24 (111).


What pay will I receive if I am absent from work due to having coronavirus?

If you contract the coronavirus, you are prevented from attending work because of contact with an infectious disease and will be eligible for sick pay. If you have any queries around your entitlement then please contact humanresources@napier.ac.uk.


Non-salaried staff – if I contract the coronavirus and am unable to attend work, will I be paid for hours that I was due to work?

You should contact humanresources@napier.ac.uk to discuss your situation.


When should I start working again?

You should only start working again when you are fully recovered. You should always follow medical advice.