Advantages of good housekeeping
- Less clutter and rubbish (these are the most common causes of fire and accidental injury)
- You can find what you are looking for quicker (improved efficiency and production and less frustration)
- Neat work area (more enjoyable and comfortable to work in)
Key steps to good housekeeping
- Machines - keep clean and follow maintenance routines, check machine guards, power cables and switches. Report any defects immediately
- Tools - clean off dirt and oil, store in appropriate area, repair or report defects.
- Storage - materials, substances must be clearly labelled, stored in designated areas, and containers kept secure.
- Floors / aisles / access areas - keep clear of debris and rubbish, do not store materials where they could create a hazard.
- Personal Protective Equipment - keep clean and store correctly.
Housekeeping is everyone's reponsibility!