Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
The COSHH Regulations require the University to identify all substances used or generated in the University which are hazardous to health.
These substances may be in the form of:
An assessment of health risks created by work involving these substances is then made and measures instituted to control the risk involved.
Staff duties under COSHH are:
- take part in School/Departmental safety training programmes
- read container labels (telling you about health risks and precautions to take)
- use personal protective equipment properly and at all times when required
- follow laid down safe systems of work, codes of practice and experimental procedures
- report any hazard or defect
- use COSHH control measures
- co-operate with monitoring and health surveillance
- label and dispose of waste chemical material according to department rules
- all hazardous substances/chemicals require to be logged on the university's hazardous database - please contact the H&S Office for information on how to access this